Rick Nabb

Post a picture of yourself and of your ride.
Forum rules
This is a place to get to know a little about your fellow club members. Post a picture of yourself and of your car or cars. If you want, add a little info about yourself to help round out the picture.

Rick Nabb

Postby Rickles » August 27th, 2016, 2:28 pm

My parents bought a White '61 Beetle as a year-old used car for my mom; she only ran out of gas once. I learned to drive in that car. They traded that in for a new '66 Beetle in Sea Sand which, eventually, was passed down to me; my first VW. A few cars later, I bought a red '61 Porsche roadster. As far as Air-Cooled, next came a Burgundy, 2-door, Corvair and then another '66 Beetle in Bahama Blue. This was later painted a Ford metallic sort of Teal color after I had an accident. This became my "Hot Rod" VW with a Holley 2 bbl. Bug Spray carb. and intake manifold, Mallory dual-point distributor, extractor header/muffler, Chevy 14" chrome reversed wheels on the back, and a first-run copper-colored, wood knob Hurst shifter. Oh yeah, and an 8 track player in the glove box. My next VW didn't come until I bought a new Silver '02 GTI. Which brings me to the Savanna Beige '67 Beetle I bought a couple of months ago. I'm the second owner after it was restored by Chris Vallone (Classic VW Bugs) about four years ago. I wanted something already restored because I don't have a garage to work in; I wanted to be able to drive it and not have worries about rust, etc.

Lots of other cars mixed in there: Red '56 Ford Crown Victoria, '69 Indy 500 Camaro convertible, '70 GTO, '07 Honda S2000, '09 Chevy HHR Panel (still own the last two, wish I still had the others). I grew up in Clark, NJ Exit 135 and now live at Exit 36. I'm a retired teacher and play bass in my spare time (I prefer the Blues). I have an ex-wife in Florida, a daughter (Kim) and granddaughter (Emily) here in town, and a son (Scott) in San Diego. Last November, I took a train to Portland, OR where Scott flew up to meet me and we rented a car and took a week to drive back to San Diego along the Pacific Coast Highway. Spectacular!

That's me, on the left in the Fedora.

One of the first things I did was add the Nardi 'wheel.

'67 Bug - Savannah Beige
Rickles

Re: Rick Nabb

Postby jhicken » August 27th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Nice, do you still have the Porsche?

-jeffrey
jhicken
Site Admin

Postby Rickles » August 27th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Boy, do I wish I still had the Porsche. :(
'67 Bug - Savannah Beige
Rickles

Postby mmw » September 1st, 2016, 11:14 am

Welcome Rick. I'll bet you wish you still had the Roadster. My Dad had a 61' which he sold. Now they are worth a ton of money, even if they need restoring. Very nice beetle you picked up. I'm with you on the buy & drive kind of cars as I don't have any time to wrench on my own stuff. Enjoy it! Make the trip to Flanders for the Gathering on Sept. 17-18, well worth it. Also like the S2000, you don't see to many of those.
Mic
Long Valley, NJ
65' beetle
mmw

Postby Rickles » September 1st, 2016, 1:55 pm

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the Flanders meet. Can't camp, but I have a hotel room for Saturday night because of the long drive. The S2000 is a great car; I bought it new in '07, and they are disappearing.
'67 Bug - Savannah Beige
Rickles

Postby Dans63 » September 15th, 2016, 1:26 pm

awesome Rick, I hope to introduce myself to you at flanders.
Dans63

Postby Rickles » September 15th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Thanks, Dans63; I'm already packed! :D
'67 Bug - Savannah Beige
Rickles

Return to Members Rides